Current:Home > ContactNeuschwanstein castle murder case opens with U.S. man admitting to rape, killing of fellow U.S. tourist -Visionary Wealth Guides
Neuschwanstein castle murder case opens with U.S. man admitting to rape, killing of fellow U.S. tourist
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 15:47:27
Kempten, Germany — An American man accused of raping and killing a fellow U.S. tourist near Bavaria's famed Neuschwanstein castle last year made a wide-ranging confession on the first day of his trial Monday.
Troy Philipp B. faces several charges including one count of murder over the death of the 21-year-old woman. He also stands accused of the attempted murder of the victim's friend, also an American citizen. Neither the suspect nor the victims have been identified due to German privacy laws.
CBS News' Anna Noryskiewicz said B.'s lawyer surprised the court right at the outset of the Monday hearing when he admitted that his client had committed the crime.
"The accused committed the incomprehensible act," his lawyer Philip Mueller told the district court in the southern town of Kempten.
The lawyer said B. had been motivated to carry out the acts spontaneously and denied any intent. B. also admitted to possessing child pornography right at the beginning of the trial.
Suspects do not enter formal guilty or not guilty pleas to charges in Germany's criminal justice system.
The two women, then 21 and 22 years old, had been hiking in the Neuschwanstein area in June last year when they met B., who offered to take them to a viewpoint, investigators said.
At a secluded spot, the man, then 30, allegedly pushed the 21-year-old woman to the ground and proceeded to rape and strangle her. Her friend intervened, leading to a scuffle in which the man allegedly pushed the 22-year-old off a steep slope.
The accused then continued his sexual assault of the 21-year-old woman, strangling her with a belt while filming the act.
Interrupted by hikers who stumbled on the crime, he pushed the rape victim down the same slope while she was unconscious.
When mountain rescue workers found the two women, the 22-year-old was injured but able to talk.
The rape victim was seriously injured and taken by helicopter to hospital, where she died later that night from her injuries.
"He was aware that the victim could die without help, yet he still left her behind," Mueller told the court.
His client was "deeply ashamed" about his actions and wished to apologize to the victim's family, the lawyer added.
The suspect, who is from Michigan, spoke only to confirm the accuracy of his lawyer's statement to the court.
He is not expected to make any further comments during the trial, scheduled to run until March 13.
The rescue operation and his subsequent arrest took place in front of hundreds of tourists.
One of them was another American tourist, Eric Abneri, from New York, who captured video of B. being taken into custody. He told CBS News after the incident that the suspect's "face was covered in deep red scratch marks and his neck as well."
"There was clearly a struggle there, and he just had a frown on his face," Abneri said. "He didn't say anything. He had a sort of disturbed look."
Built in the 19th century by King Ludwig II, Neuschwanstein castle is one of the most visited sites in Germany, attracting over a million visitors a year.
B. faces up to life in prison if convicted.
On Monday, he also confessed to possession of child pornography, which investigators uncovered as part of their probe into the attack.
- In:
- Rape
- Castle
- Murder
- Attempted Murder
- Germany
- Michigan
veryGood! (96)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- California’s budget deficit has likely grown. Gov. Gavin Newsom will reveal his plan to address it
- To the single woman, past 35, who longs for a partner and kids on Mother's Day
- US utility pledges more transparency after lack of notice it empowered CEO to make plant decisions
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- New genus of tiny, hornless deer that lived 32 million years ago discovered at Badlands National Park
- Hospitals across US disrupted after cyberattack targets healthcare network Ascencion
- Last Minute Mother's Day Shopping? Get These Sephora Gift Sets with Free Same-Day Shipping
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Biden administration will seek partial end to special court oversight of child migrants
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- States with abortion bans saw greater drops in medical school graduates applying for residencies
- Panthers-Bruins Game 2 gets out of hand as Florida ties series with blowout win
- Maine lawmakers to take up 80 spending proposals in addition to vetoes
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- How PLL's Sasha Pieterse Learned to Manage Her PCOS and Love Her Body Again
- A reader's guide for Long Island, Oprah's book club pick
- How PLL's Sasha Pieterse Learned to Manage Her PCOS and Love Her Body Again
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
1 lawmaker stops South Carolina health care consolidation bill that had overwhelming support
OPACOIN Trading Center: Dawn's First Light
Hornets hire Celtics assistant Charles Lee as new head coach
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Maine man sentenced to 27 years in prison in New Year’s Eve machete attack near Times Square
Billy Joel turns 75: His 75 best songs, definitively ranked
Family of 10-Year-Old Survivor in Quadruple Murder-Suicide Praise His Resilience